• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

~ * Cruise Question of the Day * ~

Rate this topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on a commerical grouper / snapper boat...(92ft)...working with a group of 4 other boats....we were south of Ft Myers, Flordia...about 40 miles out when we got the weather warning.....pulled all lines and made a run for it..

Storm was moving at 30-35 due east....before we could get into a safe area lightning was popping all around us making water explode when it got down that far. One of the other boats got hit...melted all his wiring together shorted out batteries, which exploded and blew off part of the back deck....we had to get a line to him and tow him in behind a few of the outer reef atols until the storm got by us......we thanked God nobody got hurt.....This storm was not forcasted...it came together in less 45 minutes.....

Lightning tries to hit the highest point on water........

Let me preface this story with telling you that I LOVE storms. I am a weather buff. My dream job would be to be a storm-chaser. If there's thunder and lightening you'll find me sitting out in my yard reveling in it.

Soooo....last year when we cruised on the Pride we ported at Puerto Vallarta. We did the dinner cruise on the pirate ship, Marigalante. Open bar. Pirates with bottles of tequila who poured their bottle down your throat every chance they could. Then after weaving my way back to the ship we went to the show and I drank more. By the time the show was over I was ready for bed. It had been a long, hot, humid day with lots of alcohol. I was out the minute my head hit the pillow. Soooo, the next morning we're at breakfast and all the talk on the Lido deck was about the AWESOME thunder and lightening there was as we were pulling away from Puerto Vallarta. And I slept through it!!! I had my own private balcony where I could have watched it and I was sleeping!!! :sad2: I was so bummed!!!

Yes, Mine wasnt on a cruise tho. I was about 9, we had been fishing on the St Johns River, a HUGE thunderstorm came up as we was heading back to shore. Daddy seen a desserted shack on island, we headed for that. I started talking about being a castway like Gilliagin Island. LOL I thought it was the coolest thing, but Mom sure didnt!! LOL

We also had a storm near Port Canaveral, on our way back to port. Lightning everywhere! Some idiots were even out on deck! Yikes that could have been shocking.....

I would have been one of the idiots! *LOL* :wacko:

I would have been right out there with you Smoo!!! We could be the same person....I want to chase storms so bad I have thought about taking a vacation just to do that....you could go with me! LOL

We also had a storm near Port Canaveral, on our way back to port. Lightning everywhere! Some idiots were even out on deck! Yikes that could have been shocking.....

I would have been one of the idiots! *LOL* :wacko:

I would have been right out there with you Smoo!!! We could be the same person....I want to chase storms so bad I have thought about taking a vacation just to do that....you could go with me! LOL

They do have vacations where they take people out storm chasing......but it ain't cheap....