• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Crazie Explorers New England Cruise September 15, 2011

Rate this topic

Everyone seems to be on board with a group dinner in Portofino's. I would suggest we have that dinner on Wednesday - Sept. 21st. It is a sea day so we won't be rushed to get back from port and can have a nice relaxing dinner.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know.

Having sailed out of Cape Liberty several times, I must tell you all that when we sail away, get up front and as high up on the ship as possible. You will not be disappointed when we go under the VZ Bridge. It is not the same seeing it from your balcony. In the event of bad weather get a front row seat in the Viking Crown Lounge. We will go under the bridge about 20 - 30 minutes after we leave the port. Also - when leaving the port there is a very moving monument to 9/11 - a gift from Russia. You will see it at the end of the peninsula on the Starboard side.

The Statue of Liberty can be seen from the Port Side while we are in the dock. We will not actually sail past it but it can be easily seen from deck.

Hector - haven't tackled the pre-cruise dinner issue yet. Transportation is going to be a very big issue so I will have to take that into consideration. We are not even 100% sure on where we will be staying yet. I'm still looking for a hotel with shuttle service to the pier.

MaryLou, I think DH and I will go it alone in Portland. I would really like to do the "foodie" tour and

we might also do the lobster trapping trip. I'm sure we'll have lots to share with all of you and we'll

look forward to your exciting day also.

I have been researching the weather for September for the different ports. Mainly just to get an idea of what to pack. Just thought I'd share....

Portland - Avg. High = 69; Avg. Low = 49.

Bar Harbor - Avg. High = 68; Avg. Low = 48.

St. John - Avg. High = 64; Avg,. Low = 46.

Halifax - Avg. High = 65; Avg. Low = 50.

Boston - Avg. High = 73; Avg. Low = 57.

Thanks for the information Debbie.

This is definately a cruise for layering. We have done this cruise twice. The first year we froze and bought sweatshirts in every port just to keep warm. We went 2 weeks later than we are going this time. We even had snow in a couple of the ports. The next year we went the exact same week and we were all set with sweatshirts, hats, gloves, etc. and it was shorts weather. So all I can tell you is be prepared. A light jacket could be helpful especially if you plan on taking tours that will take you out in the water.

I know, it seems like you have to be prepared for all kinds of weather and bring a little of everything :biggrin:

Am I correct in assuming that there are 2 formal nights? You probably covered this before....I don't remember. My memory escapes me sometimes.